The unbelievable happened, Notch released a plan for the next update. Not just a simple update, a big real developer-like update! Of course it will be available on October 31st and no updates till then.
The updates will be:
- Torches will burn out, has to be reignited with flint and steel. Infinite light source will be added as Lanterns. During the update existing world torches will be converted into lanterns, but not in the inventory. I hope you have good aim if you plan to build a house from wood :P
- Less light emitted by torches/lanterns the more deep you are. Also you can carry lanterns to light your way
- Biomes. I really hope you actually finish this one Notch!
- Hell world, teleportation, new monsters. You can teleport to a hell world to walk small distance and teleport back to travel several hunderd meters. Sounds Marvelous... Also existing monsters will be a bit more difficult to fight
- New weapons. Hell yeah, we will need lots of those to fight hellspawns and such
- Fishing. The fishing rod will be useful. I hope there will be some seamonster too
- Carve pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns and wear it as a stupid completely useless helmet. Notch, we want to craft more hats! Maybe a trading system to trade crafted hats and weapons...naaah just joking
You can see the whole list on www.minecraft.net/boo/
On slightly related note, Torchlight 2 is confirmed to be a lot more awesome than Diablo 3. More starting characters, random huge overworld area with random dungeons, day-night cycle, weather, and 8 player Multiplayer WITH LAN support!!!